Hair transplants, medications, wigs and other solutions for combatting hair loss may seem dauntingly endless; finding an ideal treatment solution can be difficult. Recently though, one solution has gained prominence from customers: Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP). Yet like any treatment option there can be questions around its longevity - most notably "Can SMP fade over time?" In this blog we'll dive deeper into SMP to help determine if it really can provide solutions to hair loss woes.
What Is Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP)? SMP, otherwise known as Scalp Micropigmentation, is a non-invasive hair loss treatment in which specialized needles implant pigment directly into the scalp using pigment deposited from natural hair follicles that have already fallen out, creating the appearance of fuller, denser head of hair. SMP provides an ideal solution for those experiencing hair thinning, receding hairlines, or complete baldness.
Does SMP Fade Over Time? Simply put, yes. Just as other forms of semi-permanent tattooing, SMP can fade over time; but there's more to the story.
Fading can be gradual and minor over time; typically occurring over several years. SMP pigments are implanted at more superficial layers, meaning their fading doesn't result in color changes but simply lightening of pigmentation.
The rate and extent of fade can depend on numerous factors:
- Sun Exposure: Too much exposure to direct sunlight or tanning beds can hasten the fading process and wearing a hat or applying sunscreen can help preserve SMP results.
- Skincare Routines: Using harsh exfoliating products can hasten this process further, so remembering exfoliation routines on your scalp could hasten this process faster.
- Individual skin differences: Some people can naturally shed skin cells faster then others.
Why SMP Fading Can Be Beneficial
Owing to its unpredictable nature, SMP may indeed fade over time; but this could actually be seen as an advantage. Why? Here's why:
1. Natural Appearance: As pigment fades over time, its edge gradually softens for an inconspicuous SMP treatment that appears natural.
2. Adaptability: Fashion trends and personal tastes change quickly, so fading provides for modifications during touch-ups if needed.
3. Technological Advancements: Cosmetic treatments are ever-evolving, so having your SMP refreshed regularly ensures you can stay abreast of new techniques and innovations available to you.
Maintaining Your SMP
Fading is an inevitable part of the SMP journey, so regular touch-ups are crucial in keeping it looking its best. Most clients opt for touch-ups every 4-6 years as an aesthetic refresher - though individual needs may vary. By scheduling regular touch-ups you can preserve the natural look of a freshly treated scalp.
So, does SMP fade over time? Yes, but that shouldn't be seen as a drawback - rather, take its gradual fade as a positive sign! SMP provides a natural look that grows along with you while offering confidence-boosting fuller-looking head of hair - the ideal combination for combatting hair loss! If aesthetics and flexibility are what matter to you most when searching for solutions to hair loss. SMP could just be what's needed!
If you're experiencing hair loss and ready to regain your confidence click here or give us a call at 845-218-1971 and schedule a free consultation.